BANKE, Nepalgunj, Nepal, April 11-14, 2019—Supported by Nepal’s National Sports Council, the country’s fourth National Fencing Championships took place recently in Banke, Nepalgunj from April 11-14. The Championships, which were held under the eighth Nepal National Games, attracted more fencers than in previous years, and it was the first time the event has been held outside the capital of Kathmandu. The opening ceremonies were inaugurated by Nepalese Olympic weightlifter Surendra Hamal.
The Championships included 129 fencers from four provinces and three “department” clubs competing in 12 individual and team events. The Nepal Army took the most medals, followed by the APF Club and Province No. 3.
The medal ceremonies, held on the final day, featured several dignitaries including a chief guest, Mr. Keshav Kumar Bista , member secretary of the National Sports Council as well as chairperson of the Secretariat of the Organizing committee of Eighth National Games; special guest Mr. Ratan Tandon, treasurer of the Nepal Olympic Committee; Mr. Sunil Kumar Shrestha, president of the Nepal Fencing Association; and Mr. Sujan Lal Shrestha, secretary general of the Nepal Fencing Association.
Overall gold medallists included the following:
- Men’s individual foil:Jalindra Shahi, Nepal Army
- Women’s individual foil:Mandira Thapa, APF Club
- Men’s Team Foil:Nepal Army
- Women’s Team Foil:APF Club
- Men’s Individual Epee:Omkar Singh, Province 3
- Women’s Individual Epee:Indira Poudel, Nepal Army
- Men’s Team Epee:APF Club
- Women’s Team Epee:Nepal Army
- Men’s Individual Sabre:Amit Bhandari, Province 3
- Women’s Individual Sabre:Kamal Shrestha, Nepal Army
- Men’s Team Sabre:Province 3
- Women’s Team Sabre:Nepal Army