Due to the current Covid-19 situation, decisions have just been made by the national authorities of an increasing number of countries. These decisions include the cancellation/postponement of events, entry restrictions, mandatory quarantines, flight cancellations, etc.
We were therefore informed on March 11 and 12, 2020:
- Anaheim Foil Grand Prix (USA): quarantine of 14 days for people traveling from certain countries and cancellation of flights
- The suspension of the men's epee World Cup scheduled in Buenos Aires (ARG)
- Men’s sabre World Cup and women’s épée World Cup planned in Budapest (HUN): Restrictions of entry and limitation of the number of participants in events. The women’s épée World Cup was scheduled in Tashkent, but due to Covid-19 could not be organized, and we had tried to reassign it.
Furthermore, and after analysing the situation, the FIE Medical Commission unanimously recommended:
• The postponement or cancellation of the Junior/Cadet world championships in Salt Lake City. The postponement period must be decided in agreement with the Organizing Committee.
• The suspension, with immediate effect, of ALL international competitions for 30 days. Resumption of competitions to be decided within this period of thirty days.
-not to deprive any federation or athlete of the possibility of qualifying for the 2020 Olympics,
-to preserve the health of athletes and delegations
-and in agreement with the requests of FIE Athletes Commission
it was decided to postpone:
The men’s and women’s Foil Grand Prix in Anaheim (USA)
The women's Sabre World Cup in St-Niklaas (BEL)
The men's Epee World Cup in Buenos Aires (ARG)
The Men's Sabre World Cup and Women's Epée World Cup in Budapest (HUN)
The Junior and Cadet World Championships in Salt Lake City (USA)
As a consequence, the zonal qualifying events for the OG must also be postponed since the qualifying competitions of the FIE calendar must take place beforehand.
We are in constant contact with the IOC, which is fully informed of our situation. We are requesting an extension of the qualification period for fencing.
You can be sure that we are all fully mobilized for our athletes and federations, and with the organizers of the competitions.
Together we will reach solutions, in the interest of all concerned, remaining calm and in the spirit of great solidarity that characterizes fencing.