LAUSANNE, Switz., July 11, 2020—The International Fencing Federation (FIE) announced today a 2020 global COVID-19 support plan for its fencing federations, confederations, organisers of competitions, athletes and referees.
Initiated by FIE President Alisher Usmanov and embraced by the FIE Executive Committee, the plan provides financial aid for 2020 and will supplement the FIE annual aid programmes.
“Our world is challenged by the COVID-19 pandemic, with tremendous health, economic, physical and psychological consequences”, said Mr. Usmanov. “Fencers and federations have been forced to abruptly cease all activities. In the spirit of solidarity and unity, and to help our global fencing family overcome this difficult period, we have decided on an unprecedented 2020 support plan of 1 million Swiss Francs.”
The plan comprises the following elements:
- Support for member federations and confederations
- An exceptional allocation to each fencing federation and confederation
- Cancellation of the 2020 annual FIE membership fee
- Support for competition organisers
- Cancellation of payment of all organising fees for the 2020-2021 competition season, and for organising fees since January 2020
- Support for athletes’ participation
- A financial grant providing for participation of one fencer per federation, originally allocated for the 2020 Junior and Cadet Fencing World Championships (which were cancelled), is now reallocated to the 2021 Junior Zonal Championships
- Support for referees
- An exceptional allocation for referees who were nominated for the 2019-2020 competition season
“Throughout its long and glorious history as one of the original Olympic sports, fencing has endured and overcome difficult obstacles”, said Mr. Usmanov. “Rest assured the FIE is working tirelessly to protect our athletes and entire organization to ensure future competitions safely take place. As fencers, we face the future together, our heads up and our masks on.”