ALGIERS, Algeria, March 19, 2019—The 2019 African Junior and Cadet Zonal Fencing Championships took place in Algiers. Federations participated, in 15 events over four days, including individual and team competitions. The Championships took place in Algiers’ Hacene Harcha Arena, host to numerous major international competitions in Northern Africa.
Egypt won 12 of the 15 events and the most medals overall (25), followed by Algeria (16) and Tunisia (10). Gold medallists in the competitions included the following fencers and countries:
- Cadet Men’s FoilYahia Mady (EGY)
- Cadet Women’s EpeeRoaina Gaafar (EGY)
- Cadet Women’s SabreKaouther Mohamed Belkebir (ALG)
- Junior Men’s FoilMohamed Hamza (EGY)
- Junior Women’s FoilNoha Hany (EGY)
- Junior Men’s EpeeIbrahim Ramadan (EGY)
- Junior Women’s EpeeYousra Zeboudj (ALG)
- Junior Men’s SabreMedhat Moataz (EGY)
- Junior Women’s SabreMariam M. Ahmed (EGY)
- Junior Men’s Team FoilEgypt
- Junior Women’s Team FoilEgypt
- Junior Men’s Team EpeeEgypt
- Junior Women’s Team EpeeAlgeria
- Junior Men’s Team SabreEgypt
- Junior Women’s Team SabreEgypt
A number of the young athletes who participated will be journeying in April to Torun, Poland, to compete in the 2019 Junior and Cadet World Fencing Championships.
Full results for the junior events at the African Junior and Cadet Zonal Fencing Championships may be found here, on the FIE web site.